Thursday, February 19, 2009

#5 - Paris, Je T'aime

So. Paris.

Now, I took two years of French in high school, having always thought it a beautiful language. Since then, I've made seriously half-hearted attempts to learn more of it on my own, because I love languages and I'm usually really ashamed I'm not proficient in another one besides English. Besides that, though, I've never really had any overwhelming inclinations towards the French. I think they're a lovely set of people who've got good food and one of the most beautiful languages.

I didn't have any preemptive notions about how I'd find Paris. Didn't think I'd love it. Was excited to go. Thought it would be easier for me to get around, with my basic understanding of the language. Other sentences without a clarified subject.

I'll need to see if I can get testaments from the people I went with clarifying the extremely bizarre comfortability and unnatural naturalness that occurred within me on that trip.

I fit. With the Parisian lifestyle, I mean. It was rather indescribable, what happened. So rather than describe it, I'll wait and see if I can get any of those people to lend me a hand.

We did a LOT in Paris, and unfortunately, I only took pictures at Versailles--that means a lot of text for you! We rented an apartment for three days, which was PHENOMENAL. There were six of us and two double beds, but besides that, it was really an amazing apartment for the amount of money we spent (which was LESS than we would've spent in most hostels!). It was about a 20-30 minute walk away from a major part of the city, which was excellent as well. At the end of our 3 days in Paris, we'd seen: the Notre Dame, a David LaChappelle (contemporary artist) exhibit, the Champs Elysée, l'Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, Versailles (not technically Paris--get over it), and la Tour Eiffel. That list, of course, excludes the numerous cafés and brasseries we went to, and all of the supermarchés and/or fromageries we ransacked, as well.


The only picture that's not of the ridiculous grandiose-ness of Versailles.

To see only some of my Versailles pictures, go here!

No comments: