Thursday, March 26, 2009

#9 - Replace "Cope" In "Copenhagen" With Your Favorite Verb

Last weekend, I went to Copenhagen, Denmark with three other lovely girls. It hadn't originally made it on my list of places to see, but I got invited and I liked the group that was going, and heard Copenhagen was a great city. For the trip, however, we did something a little unorthodox for vagabond college students: we stayed in a five-star Marriott. 

Now, why in the name of many divinities would four college students do that, you may be asking?

After surveying the Copenhagen hostels and realizing that we were most likely going to be paying anywhere from 35-50 euro for two nights, Bralow (my own personal Lord and Savior) nonchalantly mentioned that her parents had Marriott rewards, and we could check the prices on that--just for fun. So, we do, and lo and behold, two nights in a five star hotel is 45 euro, as opposed to a potentially grimy hostel for just a few euro less. Needless to say, we booked it.

We took an overnight train to Copenhagen and didn't bother to spring for a couchette/sleeping car. Huge mistake. Even for someone like me--and I can generally sleep anywhere if I'm tired enough--trying to sleep in the seats was excruciating. I'd left the Castle coughing a lot, and on the overnight train (when I should've been sleeping...) I started to feel the tingle in my nose, that ominous sensation that can only mean sniffles. Once we arrived at Copenhagen, I had a head cold to be sure, but since those are easily survivable, we checked in, dropped our stuff, and all headed out for a walk and some lunch. The walking was nice; we saw the Little Mermaid statue (underwhelming) and had two great meals before and after. MAN dinner was so good; we went to a Mediterranean Vegetarian Buffet and it was amazing. Then, we went back and, after a stint in the hotel's steam room and sauna (!!!!!!), passed out in the million thread-count sheets.

And I woke up with a fever.

If I were going to get a fever on any travel trip, my immune system's choice to crap out while I was staying in a five-star hotel was a fine, fine choice. Saturday, instead of walking around in the cold and having to stand in several museums, I laid in an astoundingly comfortable bed all day, lounging in my Marriott robe that I got in the steam room and that accidentally made its way into my backpack when we left. I had as much ice as I could possible want and one of two English-speaking channels playing random but entertaining movies all day. I even got room service for dinner!

Sunday, they got up and went to another museum, while I got up and packed, still feeling a bit feverish. Then, we walked around outside after checking out of the hotel. Had another GREAT vegetarian meal--a vegetarian breakfast at this quiet little cafĂ©--and saw Christiania, which is/was a hippie commune in the center of Copenhagen. Now, it's just a real sketch "artists' colony" where a bunch of scary, thin drug dealers glare at you from barrel fires. After that, we headed to the train station for another horribly uncomfortable overnight train.

Unfortunately, I have NO pictures whatsoever from Copenhagen--and not because I was bed-ridden most of the time. My camera batteries died right before leaving, and since it takes a lot for me to get my camera out anyway, I decided to just leave it at home for a weekend. 

It's weird to think that I've got less than a month here--only one more real trip on my own before my family comes to visit me. It's to London though, just me and Bralow, so it should be a winner.

No comments: